Sunday, December 16, 2007

Perspective

Though I might have bitched about the way the LA Weekly described me, I want to clarify that I'm not really all the angry about it, and yes, I realize that "any publicity is good publicity". I guess it's just that I'm constantly sabotaging myself with cripplingly low self esteem issues. The article simply twisted the knife I've put in my own back.
A couple weeks ago, I received an email from Austin Whitney, a young man that I met last December at the Circus Punk show at Mixi-Bang. Every time I read this, it helps me put things back into perspective. I just wanted to feature it here since it really had a strong impact on me.

Hi Luke!
It’s Austin Whitney, my friend Sophia talked to you at the show in San Francisco this weekend and you drew me a sketch of "The Kiss". I’m the paraplegic guy from the note. I just wanted to thank you so much for that and taking the time to do that for me at your busy show. I really wished I could have been there and talked to you in person. I have been a huge fan for a couple years now, got into your stuff like my junior year of highschool and now am a freshman in college. For me your artwork is some of the best ways I have of visualizing particular emotions and relating them to people. Especially since my accident. This summer I crashed my car and shattered my spine leaving me paralyzed from the waist down. Don’t feel bad at all though- life is rockin these days, I think it is probably more full and overall just better than before that crash. Life always has a tendency to go on and with the right attitude you can overcome anything.
I have your darkness print up now and whenever I look at it, it just reminds me how bad attitudes and overall negativity sometimes just consume everything. I overall have a great outlook on life now and I just keep it there because #1 I love that painting #2 It’s what I try and avoid in my day to day life- the feeling of being overwhelmed by the darkness of life. For me it just totally captured that feeling though. I also have bright ideas from the heart in my soul up and that reminds me how I like to use my pain and give it meaning. I am speaking at about 2 dozen southern California Highschools now about my car accident and raise money for the wheelchair foundation. When I look at that print it reminds me how good things often come from the most heart-wrecking (literally in the painting) of times. I sits right behind my computer screen and really does inspire me to work hard to give my accident purpose. If I don’t work hard to change the world for the better at this point I’ll just be a bear with a hole with me. I prefer to hold the lightbulb. It’s inspiring Luke. I just really love your art , It has been a pleasure for me everyday to observe all your work and own the few prints I do. I cherish them like nothing else. Just know that your work is really making a difference in the world-especially for me. You’re such a talented artist and you really do have such a unique insight into being able to paint some of life’s most indescribable moments and feelings. Thank you also so much for creating The Kiss. I cant tell you how happy I was to see your character in a wheelchair – LIKE ME! It really did make me smile when I saw it for the first time on your site. Basically just thank you for all of your works. Hopefully one day I can afford to buy one. Just keep doing what your doing and I look forward to meeting you again the next time you have a local show.

O and last time we talked you recommended Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada by Godspeed You Black Emperor! – I got it on LP a couple days after and it changed my life. Thanks for that as well. You got any other musical suggestions?

Thanks and Rock On!


Thanks Austin. Thanks for helping me unwedge my head from my ass.

1 comment:

jenny said...

*tear in eye*

whatta great dude.