San Francisco Day 2 (Friday)
Friday started off with my visiting Gallery 1988 San Francisco.
Here's a pic of the galleries front window,

and a pic of the front door featuring the postcard of the show.

Inside I was greeted by Alex, an intern at 1988 trimming Greg Simkin's latest print.

I met Peter Gronquist's Bulldog, StrangeCo's dog, and Finnegan (not pictured) Gallery 1988 SF's dog.

My friend Monica Choy of Portland, Oregon's Compound Gallery, recently moved back to San Francisco,

and was my guest at a lunch meeting with Emily Brough, Katie Cromwell, Greg Blum, Peter Gronquist, and Jim Crawford.

There we discussed the release party for the Vivisect Playset Toy-set (Saturday January 26th, 2008) at Gallery 1988 Los Angeles.

Later that afternoon, we hung the show, (to see the artwork from the show, I think Gallery 1988's blog should have it online... maybe)

Meanwhile, I reworked my sketch of MoMo bear, Monica's belated birthday gift.

After dinner, I scratched my car in the parking garage when I was trying to figure out why I wasn't getting a GPS signal (DAMN YOU TALL BUILDINGS!) and I spent the rest of my evening in my hotel room, working on my unfinished Vivisect Playset paintings


[Left] "There's a Song in My Heart (Music-Box Heart)"
[Right] "What the Fuck?"
San Francisco Day 3 (Saturday)
That morning, I finished my paintings:

"There's a Song In My Heart (Music-Box Heart)"
11" x 14"
Acrylic + Ink
2007

"What the Fuck?"
11" x 14"
Acrylic + Ink
2007
And then my friend Kurt Barbee of 5280 Lasers flew down with the Vivisect Playset limited edition etchings.

He and I decided a distressed look would complement the design and so we sanded each print.


Since this was a collaboration, I insisted that he and I both signed the back of each piece.


As show time approached, last minute touch-ups were made.
I especially love this pic of Katie in little black dress and heels drilling a screw into the wall.

Greg Simkins and Jensen Karp showed up, and we prepared for some tag team sketching.



A bunch of people came, and Greg and I sketched for the guests during the entire show.



Here's a blurry pic with Munky King's Zury Ponce talking to Dave Pressler... Zury really enjoyed her drink that night :)
Not pictured:
* The insane amounts of coffee I drank throughout this trip... approx. 5-6 Venti (Large) Starbucks sized beverages each day.
* The Thai restaurant Greg, Kurt, Isaac Pierro, Jensen, and I went to after the show (Jensen really enjoyed it, calling it one of his best random San Francisco food finds... actually, we all enjoyed the food.)
* Trannys Galore! It was Tits+Dicks Heaven (or Hell)
* Sunday lunch with my bay area cousins in Sunnyvale.
* My stop in San Luis Obispo... so many memories, both good and bad.
Whew! Alrighty... Now I feel like I can get back to my regular updates featuring current happenings.
5 comments:
best break from studying EVAR!!! :D
love the picture of the feminine hole drilling.
Ahhh... Appreciation!
It took me 3 days of photo editing and working off line to get this post up. Yes, Katie definitely knows how to work a little black dress and a power drill!
Yay for updates and pictures!
Where would I be able to get one of those Vivisect etchings?
Those came out really great.
got your router fixed? niiice. craola collab drawings...drool.
yey!!! a few days of famine and then the heavens open up to shower us with beautiful gobs of voyeuristic amazingness!
Post a Comment