Thursday, January 10, 2008

Hainan Chicken Rice (Take 2)

I am admittedly a Anthony Bourdain / No Reservations fan, and being inspired by his Singapore episode, this evening my friend Hung-Hei and I took on the second round of our Hainanese Chicken Rice adventure. We went to Tasty Garden in Alhambra, and this time we successfully dined on Hainan Chicken Rice.

TASTY GARDEN
288 W Valley Blvd. #110 Alhambra, CA 91801
Phone: (626) 300-8262

CHICKEN!

RICE!

REVIEW: First of all, Tasty Garden is pretty damn popular. We ate early (6pm) and when we left, there were at least 10 people waiting to be seated, and we saw several more parties come and wait while we chatted outside. They specialize in clay pot dishes, and I got to admit it, they've got some pretty damn good chicken rice. However, Hung-Hei's chicken didn't seem cooked all the way though. Also, the meat to bone ratio left a bit to be desired, though this might simply be the way it's supposed to be due to the type of chicken the dish traditionally uses. But the ginger scallion oil took it from yum to yummy. Maybe a chili sauce would have taken it to an even higher level.
I was originally going to give this a number rating, but I don't think that would really say anything. The real question is, would I order it again? Sure, I think I would.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That place is really good. Go there about twice a month!

marcus said...

luke how bout hainan chicken rice painting =) u can do chicken eating hainan chicken lol

sleepboy said...

i would order it again as well. there was definitely enough chicken to finish my rice.