Saturday, January 05, 2008

Jan. 4th, 2008 - Shitstorm (Part 2)

Well, I'm releaved to say that after lunch, everything calmed down. The worst thing to happen was when Michelle Valigura, Amanda Visell and I went to LACMA to go see the Dali exhibition, the show had sold out all the way to Sunday (the last day). Now I feel like an idiot, throwing down $100 for membership to the museum.
Anyways, we met up with Derek Puleston & Zury Ponce for japanese food at Honda Ya Izakaya in the mall in Little Tokyo
(333 S. Alameda St 3rd Floor., Los Angeles, CA 90013).
Derek and I gobbled up as much yakitori goodness as we could. There's nothing quite as satisfying (or life affirming) as eating the "throw away" parts of animals when they're grilled to perfection. Heart, liver, skin, tongue, gizzard, and throat become delectable when skewered and grilled over charcoal. Also, Honda Ya's toro (fatty tuna) sashimi was the best $16 I've spent on toro - EVER.
Here's a picture of Derek and I going to town on chicken hearts, and chicken livers.


Afterwards, we had gelato at Pazzo Gelato and ended the evening at ThinkSpace Gallery where I picked up my second Allison Sommers painting.

Allison Sommers
"Wet Nurse"
4" x 6"
Gouache On Paper

My friend/collector Dr. Hung-Hei Yung introduced me to her work, and I have to agree, Allison's amazing! She's definitely one of my favorite artists, and you can quote me when I say I think she's going to blow the fuck up.
Well, that's all for now. I'm glad things mellowed out, but we'll see how things go tomorrow.
Wish me luck.

1 comment:

sleepboy said...

nice choice on the "wet nurse." i was gonna buy that one but then i forgot lol. i think i got this one but need final confirmation from andrew.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/on_a_boutade/2105367147/

did u ever email allison by the way. she was thrilled to learn that you bought her art and was interested in any projects you might have or to just talk to you.